"Behavioral science is not for sissies." -Steven Pinker

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Getting Started: Morality

A question that has haunted me for a long time is the question of where moral behavior comes from. Why do we behave morally? Its a question that has vast implications, not only because of the judgement its answer would have to make upon human nature, but because of its implications into how we should act. Its a particularly difficult question in my opinion to answer because of the required intersection of so many fields of cognitive theory, be it philosophy, psychology, religion, or biology. Only through the synthesis of these perspectives can a reasonable theory of moral behavior emerge.

I’m not going to pretend to know an answer. Not to seem as if I lack ambition, but I am not going to pretend to even have a logical argument from which to seek an answer. But, without trying, needless to say, no progress will be made. For this reason I will begin to determine what it is I do think by presenting all the ideas that I come across and determining the merits of each. In this way, some time from now, I may come across something that more resembles an answer than the jumble of thoughts which now inhabit my mind.

These ideas, I regretfully admit, will not be comprehensive. In fact I have been putting off even attempting to determine an answer for some time because of my lack of a comprehensive answer. The ideas will require editing, clarifying, focusing, removal, etc., but they are written in the attempt to begin a process. The goal is to figure out this morality problem. Many of the ideas that I will write down are not mine, and I will not be coy about this fact. I am simply going to be reciting information that I am coming across upon my quest for solving this answer for part of this blog. The purpose for this will be to place all of the information that I am using to come up with new ideas all down in one area. Along with this information I will try to give insights that I come up with from the knowledge I am gaining though the writing of this blog.

I do not intend to be excessive in my explanation of this blog. I have been thinking about this question for a long time, and, not to be selfish in my writing, but part of my intent is to clarify my own confused thoughts. Any input on these ideas would be greatly appreciated, and it will undoubtedly be required. Criticism would be greatly appreciated, as it would aid in the process of figuring out this critical question.

Now that this explanation is verging upon the cliff of procrastination, thanks, and let’s get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment