"Behavioral science is not for sissies." -Steven Pinker

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Made It!

So here's what happened:
1. I needed to find an apartment.
2. I Looked on Craig's List for apartments.
3. I Found an Apartment.
4. I Signed a Sublet Agreement for a room in HOUSE.
5. I Stayed up late packing for trip night before I left
6. I Left Dubuque for California!
7. Are now in the house, have the room set up, and are going to bed.

That was easy.
Here's how I did on the whole 'finding a place to live' thing (I kept my own stats as I went)

I contacted 17 different possible living arrangements.
7 of these locations responded to my emails.
Of those 7, 4 had extended messaging with pictures and information.
Of those 4, 2 became likely possibilities.
Of those 2, 1 ended up being the one I signed up with (actually one of the first to respond to my messages)

It was interesting trying to find a place to live out here. I spent quite a great deal of time searching through the infinite pages of sfbay craig's list to find places to live. I stumbled across possible living arrangements varying from living in a dorm, to living in a vacant room in a house, to being asked to be a part of a 'house' devoted to sustainable living. The variety of places to live out here was astonishing. I myself got extremely lucky in my search, one of the first living arrangements to contact me back was a subleased room around six blocks from where I would be working. Considering that the average distance from where I would be living to where I would be working was one that made biking or public transportation almost a necessity, to have a place this close looked awesome. Also, once I received pictures of the house, I found out that it was very nice looking containing a living room, dining room, kitchen, and bathroom. Plus I would have a room to myself. Noting that my third choice to a room consisted of living in a used living room, having a room to myself made the offer even sweeter.

Well, needless to say, the nicer a place is, the more customers will be interested in it. This became frightening, not knowing whether or not another party had receieved this awesome room. There was a period of three or four days where I just waited for other people to also look at the room before the owners made a decision about who would stay there. About when my hopes for the room were diminished, I got a call telling me that the room was mine. Fortunately no other party purchased it before I could, and like that I had a place to stay.

And wah-lah! I am now living in a place out in California. Easy.

Well, I start tomorrow at noon, and it's getting pretty late.
Goodnight!



No comments:

Post a Comment