"Behavioral science is not for sissies." -Steven Pinker

Friday, July 16, 2010

A Video Foyer

As I was working on my readings I decided to take a break and check out a video that I found a while back. It is a video of the 'visual cliff' an experiment involving an infant crawling across the top of a box with half of the surface looking like its at the same level with the baby, and half looking as if it is a few feet below them; this difference creates a visual cliff. The following video explains it, but the reason that I like it isn't its explanation of the paradigm. In fact, although I have seen the visual cliff in the lab (which was sweet) its not a part of the experimenting that I will actually be performing. The reason that I like this video so much is because it gives a perfect few second introduction to the professor who runs the lab I am working in, Dr. Campos. Here's the video:


After having spent some time with him, I found him to be very similar to the funny, super smart guy you see in the video. I am remarkably lucky to be working with a professor of such a caliber as Dr. Campos, who is also incredibly kind. Although it's been a shaky summer so far, with the lack of subjects for the past few weeks due to unforeseen unfortunate circumstances, Dr. Campos has been nothing but supporting and considerate in my short time here so far, not only checking in to make sure my living situation is good and that projects are being lined up for me to work on, but also taking me and the other intern (from Stanford) out, already to a small town north of San Francisco Tiburon, and is planning on going on other outings with us as well.

Just to reiterate, he is also incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to baby psychology. In the brief conversations we have had so far, along with the multiple articles of his I have read, I can plainly see that working with Dr. Campos will be a great learning experience. He knows so much about infant psychology, and I greatly look forward to/are terrified at the notion of, working closely with him on the Joint-Attention paper I am researching as we speak. Pretty good motivation to work hard, even on a friday night. Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment